Monday, October 11, 2010

Ten Ten Ten

Almost There by Opus Orange playing, 0201 hours:
I've just returned from my rendezvous with the world's largest fort and it's completely wrung out the adventurous spirit from my exhausted body and then, to insult me, the incident robbed me of my will to go to class that starts less than six hours from now. I pretend to be upset now.
We were supposed to come back at 8 p.m. but somehow that didn't translate well with the shit fate had planned. The day starts out searingly hot (you do NOT want to sit in a car that's parked in the Clifton heat until you've airconditioned the car for five minutes prior) but it was going to get better. We were going to Ranikot.
Now Ranikot itself is very interesting. Wiki confirms that it IS indeed the largest "unexplored" fort, whatever that's supposed to mean. Students took to that description defiantly and couples insisted on exploring the nether regions of the fort. So they could explore nether regions elsewhere. But what's really a mystery is why the fort was built where it was built in the interior of Sindh. Nobody can answer who exactly built it and when and most importantly, what was it defending. It's desert on both sides! I'm sure it wasn't for the making out. That secret is now buried in these literal sands of time along with other such great secrets as "What is the Interior?", "Hyderabad: I'm not in the Interior!" and "Why is the Interior always so fucking hot?".
All this was great but..
One bus broke down. Then another. The AC broke in then another (mine, unfortunately). Half the food turned from the heat. No spoons or forks for the other half. Drivers refusing to drive. And last but definitely not the least: stupid kids. But that happens so often it's more of an accepted evil now.
Of the 17 hours I was away from home, 2 were spent at Ranikot. The rest were in hell. A hell without a bathroom. As imagined, the leak right after couldn't have been more cathartic.
It's late and I'm sleepy. A goodnight to you all and a fuck you, hit the road now please to 10/10/10.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete