Sunday, February 21, 2010

Tales from the Kaava Place

Come have times when the quintessential Pathan and I have sat down in conversation where the gentleman from the ancestral north has broadened my horizons.
I was having kaava at a place near jheel park (which by the way has the best kaava ever) and playing with google maps on my stolen phone when the random man sitting opposite me engaged me with his sad countenance, almost pitying me.
Sidenote: the guilt is tearing me apart and I have to confess. I msWorded "facial expression" to get countenance. In my defense, countenance was right there at the tip and it was drilling a hole in my brain and I had to.
Anyway, the dude tells me that I should throw away my cellphone and landline and television and I'm sure he would have mentioned this very computer too had he known it existed, reason being that the airwaves disturbs "jo hawa mei hai". I, captivated with doe eyes, ask "khuda?" "Nahi...chirriya" he replies. Now I'm smiling but listening intently when he tells me how they get back at us by sitting on the wires that carry these signals and somehow disturbing us through these inventions. Now I'm torn in focusing between the conversation and the debate churning in my mind of what substance this man abuses. He was pretty thorough with the technical details and Pashtu jargon and the fact that a man of such complex thought be so confident in this bizarre a thought really liberated me. And in a very non-sarcastic way. That feeling of not caring about how the other person will think you're insane and saying what you really feel inside. I finished the cup soon after and went home a little wiser.

5 comments:

  1. I am very curious as to what the technicalities he explained were...I find bizarre roadside dialogues between strangers so uniquely interesting....
    Totally reminds me of the book "The cripple and his talismans"...heard of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The original idea for the blog was to retell stories my driver shares with me. some are totally absurd and not true involving snakes and roadside hypnosis, while others like the one about the pious woman of the mountain are stories that give people like me hope.
    and no...i havent read books in the longest time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yvone Strahovsky or howeverMon Mar 15, 07:10:00 PM GMT+5

    Using the synonym function is like cheating on your A level General Paper.

    Why have you stopped writing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still got a C in general. don't judge me, yvonne.

    ReplyDelete